Thursday, June 14, 2007

In Breckenridge, CO

Yeah all,

We made it to Breckenridge, CO through not the best weather. We left the great town of Salida a bit pre-mature we figure. It was a climb out of Salida that would have provided us some tremendous views of the Collegiate peaks but instead we got view of the weather moving in on top of us. We didn't get too far before it started raining. We were able to pitch the tent but still got pretty wet by the cold rain.

The next day we finished the climb up through pine forests and aspen trees and it started raining again. At high elevation, the rain is pretty cold when it hits you and eventually it soaks through whatever you are wearing. The descent into a nice grassy valley would have been a lot more fun if I wasn't shivering by the end. Once cruising through the rolling hills, I was able to warm up a bit but it rained on us sporadically throughout the day. The clouds also obscured our views of the rockies to our west. I guess its days like this that allow appreciating the nice days. Besides the drizzle and rain, the wind picked up and allowed our wet clothes to be further chilled. All in all, I wasn't really feeling to great and Jamie led for most of the day. We were rewarded at the end by a big meal in the tiny town of Hartzel. There is no place to stay in the town (pop 130) but the owner of the bar allowed us to pitch a tent behind the bar. I was completely spent and not feeling so great.

The next day, we planned to make it half way up Boreas Pass and then roll into Breckenridge today. Sometimes, plans don't work out the way we would like. We ate a big breakfast in the cafe before setting out over what would normally be fairly easy terrain. The strong COLD wind blew directly in our face slowing our progress to a crawl. Once again, I was not feeling too strong and Jamie just kept trucking out in front. About lunchtime. we found some shelter from the wind and I laid down and couldn't get back up. My body was done and it would not go any farther. We should have taken a rest day in Salida but I wanted to push on and now cold and too tired to stand, I laid there. At this point, a truck was driving by and Jamie got his attention and he drove us into Breckenridge. I think my problem is that I caught a little cold in the rain out of Salida combined with not eating enough over the past couple weeks. We intend to stay here for 4 days hanging out with some friends of Jamie's and I intend to eat everything I see. Sorry this wasn't the most positive post but it is what it is. Every once and a while you need a bad day to make you appreciate the good days.

Lee

No comments: